Every year I sit down both personally and with my staff to reflect on the year’s projects as well as the photographs from locations new and revisited. I can’t believe how much we were able to fit into 2017, and although I’m starting off 2018 recovering – very swiftly and beyond expectation, I might add – from foot surgery, I’m looking forward to seeing what we can accomplish in 2018!
Here are many of the highlights from the past year:
• We added new content to the website to give you more reasons to check back in with us! Where’s Art? was a segment we created as part of our new Multimedia page. It’s great to give you slide shows from my travels, but adding a voice to each unique trip brings something new to the table. Stay tuned for new editions from Mexico and Hawaii!
•I’ve begun doing portfolio reviews, with a few different packages to choose from. If you purchased one over the holidays and have submitted your photos, they are my focus for the current and coming weeks!
• We also added a new gear page where you can check out much of the equipment I use in the field, and we also focused on bringing you tips and tricks every Technique Tuesday on the blog.
• We had several terrific workshops here in my stomping grounds of the Pacific Northwest and Alaska: Columbia River Gorge, Abstract Astoria, Glacier Bay and Katmai National Parks, and over on the Olympic Peninsula at Olympic and Mount Rainier National Parks, as well as Lake Quinault.
• I brought Photography As Art to the following cities: Austin, Atlanta, Portland, Scottsdale, Chicago, San Francisco, Washington DC, Dallas, and Seattle. Check out 2018’s current slate of cities with more likely to be added!
• An outdoor exhibit of Vanishing Act took place in Hamburg – what a great way to see your work displayed!
• Three new books were contracted with my publisher, Earth Aware Editions. A new edition ofEarth Is My Witnesswas released in the US and UK, and new French and Italian editions of Witness and the New Art of Photographing Nature were also published.
• Amazon added the first season of Travels to the Edge to their offerings on Prime streaming video!
• Photos and more photos! You can find my 2017 slide show here; from clicks and comments, it seems like your favorites were a bit different, with an emphasis on the Lofoten Islands. Hmm, perhaps I should schedule another workshop there. . .
• I’m in the process of planning my schedule for the next three years; keep an eye on my events page as well as the blog to stay up to date!
Myself and the staff wish you a healthy and prosperous 2018!
2016 ended with the airing of Tales by Light — this time to the global audience of Netflix. This has led to a renewed interest in my 26-episode series Art Wolfe’s Travels to the Edge, which you can purchase on DVD or catch on PBS and CreateTV, as well as in Germany and France on ARTE-7.
I traveled to nineteen countries, flew 189,437 miles and was at sea for 9,872 miles in the following areas: Antarctica, India, Laos, California, Washington, Florida, Cuba, Chile, Argentina, Bolivia, Galapagos, Texas, Germany, Tanzania, Alaska, Oregon, Democratic Republic of Congo, London, Colorado, Manitoba, South Georgia Island, Falkland Islands, Myanmar, and Minnesota.
Every year I do a slideshow of my year’s travels for friends and you can see the images here.
I was also honored to have one of my images chosen to represent Yellowstone National Park in the USPS Forever Stamp collection commemorating 100 years of the National Park Service. The iconic image used to represent one of the world’s great parks is also available for purchase as a print in my online store.
Some years are publishing years, some are traveling, 2015 was for reshaping the business—a necessity in the ever-changing photography industry. I closed my downtown Seattle gallery and launched this website, focusing my core business online and allowing me the ability to concentrate on other projects, of which there are many.
All the filming that I did in 2014 with Abraham Joffe and the Untitled Film Works crew—in East Africa, Papua New Guinea, Alaska, and here in Seattle—finally came to fruition. Tales by Light is a joint Canon Australia and National Geographic Channel production & I hope it comes to the US soon!
Travel & Photography: The year was bookended by East Africa
While travel slowed somewhat in 2015, I still managed trips to Tanzania (twice), Kenya, Yellowstone National Park (twice), Antarctica, India, Bali, Japan, Iceland, Washington State, Alaska, Svalbard, California, and Wyoming’s Grand Teton National Park. The final expedition of the year was to the Danakil Basin of Ethiopia.
Books, Conservation, Environment, Events, Human Canvas, Learning, On Location, Prints, Stock Photography, Technique, Travel/Cultural, Travels To The Edge, Workshops, Vanishing Actyear in reviewArt Wolfe
2013 was a year of firsts as well as a year of accomplishment. I did a huge amount of traveling, much of it in preparation for my new book Earth Is My Witness coming out Fall 2014. Destinations included Kenya, the South Pacific, the Galapagos, Iceland, southern Africa, my home region of the Pacific Northwest, Brazil, Australia, Borneo, Italy, Chile, Argentina, Japan, Myanmar, and India.
We published two instructional photography books with Amphoto Books: The New Art of Photographing Nature with Martha Hill and Tim Grey and The Art of the Photograph with Rob Sheppard. Find them in the store HERE
I received much-appreciated honorifics, including the Lifetime Achievement Award from the North American Nature Photography Association and the Nature’s Best Photography Award in recognition of Outstanding Achievement in Nature Photography.
The Rotella Gallery opened an exciting new Soho location. You may have seen the dramatic full page ads in the New York Times featuring my image “Spirit Horse.” Find their location information HERE
Teaching workshops is always a pleasure. In April I conducted a Masters of Nature Photography seminar with legendary nature photographers Frans Lanting and Tom Mangelsen. We have another event coming up in February 2014 and I will be posting some additional events soon at www.artwolfeworkshops.com.
Books, Events, Masters of Nature Photography, Travel/Cultural, Videos, Wildlife, Workshops2013, Earth Is My Witness, Masters Of Nature Photography, Rotella Gallery, The Art of the Photograph, The New Art of Photographing Nature, year in reviewArt Wolfe