The 31st Annual Telly Award winners have been notified and Art Wolfe’s Travels to the Edge public television series is the proud recipient of five Silver Telly Awards, their highest honor, for outstanding achievement. The awards were presented in recognition of episodes developed and produced by Wolfe’s company, Edge of the Earth Productions.
Founded in 1979, the Telly Awards is the premier award honoring outstanding local, regional, and cable TV commercials and programs, as well as the finest video and film productions. Winners are selected by the Silver Telly Council, which is comprised of top industry professionals that are past winners. The Telly Awards receives over 13,000 entries annually from the finest ad agencies,
production companies, TV stations, cable companies, interactive agencies and corporations in the world.
“Every minute I was there, I wanted to flee. I did not want to see this. Would I cut and run, or would I deal with the responsibility of being there with a camera”
This is a quote from James Nachtwey, one of the most celebrated war photographers of our time. Although he was referring to the horrors of photographing human carnage and the tremendous responsibility that photographers have to document the savagery of war and to bring back stories that we may not want to see but that we must see, the quote can easily be applied to the horrors of bearing witness to the devastation of our planet’s ecosystems and species.
“5000 gallons of oil spilled every day” is a phrase that may or may not mean much to many of us, but to see the cloud of oil slowly moving towards the shoreline and to see the anger and sadness on people’s faces as they say goodbye to livelihoods and beloved landscapes touches people on a different level. Whether we want to see the images or not, we are lucky that there are photojournalists on site covering issues that will impact us all.
As lovers of nature, most conservation photographers probably wish that they too could flee and not smell the smoke, be spared the slaughter, not be the last witness to the extinction of a plant or an animal, but just like our colleagues who document war, we too have a responsibility to be there with our cameras and share with the rest of the world images from the frontline of the “biodiversity war”.
International League of Conservation Photographers
Photoshop is an indispensable tool that we use here at Art Wolfe Inc. to fine tune almost every photograph that Art creates. Whether an image is to be printed for the gallery, published on the web, or used to illustrate a book (etc.)… It’s hard to imagine our world without Photoshop. We will be making use of the new auto lens correction feature for aberration & distortion. And we’re anxious to try out the new auto-fill features. Here is more of what’s new directly from Adobe:
Adobe® Photoshop® CS5 and Photoshop CS5 Extended software, must-have releases of the professional industry standard for digital imaging. With millions of users celebrating the product’s 20th anniversary this year, Photoshop CS5 builds upon a rich history of innovation and leadership with groundbreaking features and performance gains that boost creativity and workflow efficiency. Packing in more technological advancements from Adobe Labs than any other release and incorporating enhancements to everyday tasks requested by the Photoshop community, the software has greater intelligence and awareness of the content within images, allowing for complex and magical manipulation in just a few clicks. Here are a few of the key features:
· New selection technologies and tools—including Truer Edge technology, color decontamination, and selection and mask refinement tools—that allow photographers to fine-tune specific areas within an image
· Content-Aware Fill that automatically fills in the space when you remove an image element
· Superior HDR imaging with HDR Pro featuring automatic ghost removal and greater control with tone mapping and adjustments
· Automated correction of lens distortions, chromatic aberration, vignetting, and more
· Improved raw conversions and state-of-the-art raw photographic noise removal, additive grain, post-crop vignetting, and more—plus support for JPEGs, TIFFs, and over 275 proprietary raw formats—with Adobe Camera Raw 6. Easily add grain to make a digital photo look more organic or film-like. Enjoy more control when performing post-crop vignetting and even save favorite vignettes as presets. And sharpen images with better results and finer control over details.
· Precise recomposing or repositioning of any photo element for a more visually appealing result with easy-to-use Puppet Warp
· Natural and realistic painting with the Mixer Brush and Bristle Tips, which let you easily change a photograph into a painting or create unique artistic effects
· The integrated Lab B&W action for an easy and interactive way to convert color images; create gorgeous HDR black-and-whites with greater ease and speed; and take advantage of new black-and-white presets
· An accelerated workflow with faster performance with GPU-enabled cropping, powerful new selection technology, integrated Adobe® Mini Bridge for faster file browsing, and cross-platform 64-bit support
· Improved integration with Adobe Photoshop Lightroom® for a complete photography solution
Estimated street price for Adobe Photoshop CS5 is US$699 and US$999 for Photoshop CS5 Extended. Upgrade pricing and volume licensing are available. For more detailed information about features, OS support, upgrade policies and pricing, please visit www.adobe.com/go/photoshop.
Attend one or both live eSeminars on Photoshop CS5 delivered by Photoshop Product Manager, Bryan O’Neil Hughes.
May 6 10am P.T.
What’s New in Photoshop CS5
Learn how Adobe® Photoshop® CS5 software redefines the state of the art with a strong focus on photography; breakthrough painting and selection capabilities; and a wide range of workflow and performance enhancements. You’ll see the creativity and productivity enhancements that were requested by passionate Photoshop users.
See how Photoshop CS5 gives photographers a set of breakthrough tools to help you refine your images and get superior results faster than ever before. This seminar highlights key features and the reasons why Photographers should consider upgrading to Photoshop CS5.
Would you like a chance to win an Art Wolfe Open Edition Print? Sure you Do!
This is how: forward us your friends! Have someone you know sign up for any one of the Art Wolfe Spring Tours and we will enter your name in a drawing for a 16 x 20 signed, unframed, Art Wolfe print of your choice! Limited to the open edition gallery of images only – This gives you over 200 image choices. We will announce 1 winner from each of the cities at the end of the tour on June 14th.
Simply have the person signing up mention your first and last name when registering online. If you get more than one person to sign up, you get more than one entry in the drawing.