Join Me on an Eleven-day Journey to Antarctica

Art in Antarctica
Join me on an eleven-day journey to Antarctica on November 22 through December 2, 2010.

SAVE $1000 OFF THE LISTED PRICES IF YOU SIGN UP BEFORE JULY 31, 2009.

We will explore the Antarctic Peninsula and South Shetlands Islands. Our itinerary provides abundant time to photograph the birds and mammals of the region including Adelie, Gentoo, and Chinstrap penguins, Crab-eater and Leopard Seals and Wandering Albatrosses.

Ours is a different kind of trip. Participants won’t need to leave the shore for meals. Casual outdoor clothing will be the order of the day, and we will not dress up for dinner.

We have chartered an entire ship for our clients only. During our voyage, we will be visiting the best wildlife habitats at each destination, landing as often as possible and maximizing time on shore. We devote more time on shore at choice locations instead of squandering time with multiple landings every day.

To register or for more information, call my office at 206.332.0993. For a downloadable brochure in pdf form, click here.

25 Responses to “Join Me on an Eleven-day Journey to Antarctica”

1. Len Villano says:

Holy crap! Wouldn’t that be a incredible experience. The scenery, the adventure, you, your fellow instructors. If there was one trip in my life that I would most want to take it would be this one. If there is any way humanly possible to get the funds together I will be there. Thanks Art for at least the opportunity for an incredible journey.
    Len
    lenvillano.com

2. admin says:

Hi, Len,

This is the kind of response I love. You can post anytime.

Thanks. And hope to see you on the ship.

3. Markos says:

Penguins… I love them… I wish I had the funds to go on this trip. I lost my job 8 months ago, photography isn’t paying for my rent right now. If in the future I can go here I would in a heartbeat.

I like the dress up part of the post… aren’t the penguins always dressed up :)

4. Richard says:

Wow, what an opportunity! Talk about adventure of a lifetime! But the link to get more information is not working – can you re-post it? I gotta go with Len on this – if there’s anyway I can do this I will!

• admin says:

The link to the pdf is broken. We’ll get it going on Monday. In the meantime, check out the Antarctica post in New on artwolfe.com. Thanks for the heads up.

5. Ian says:

I think Art needs a new assistant for this trip! John, don’t you need a break from all the travel :)

6. Craig says:

Not related to Antarctica, but your link to Gitzo isn’t correct. It goes to http://www.bogen.com, which is audio equipment. Gitzo tripods are at http://www.gitzo.com. Manfrotto-Bogen tripods (Gitzo parent company) are at http://www.bogenimaging.us.

I’m also curious which tripod Art uses. I’ve tried to find that configuration (3-section, good height, no center column) on the Gitzo website, but I don’t think I’ve found it yet.

• admin says:

Thanks for the head’s up. I don’t remember where I mentioned Bogen, though.

I don’t pay any attention to model numbers. I use several Gitzos of various sizes, grabbing the one that looks like it will work that day so there is no single answer. They are all tough, the big ones are stable, and the carbon fiber models dampen vibration and don’t transmit cold.. The truth is that the question is irrelevant. A pile of rocks and a beanbag works as well as a tripod.

But to answer part of your query, you can order a short column of any of the Gitzos.

7. Craig says:

Thanks for the reply. The Bogen link is listed for Gitzo in the list of Equipment shown on the right side of the page.

8. ms says:

I have heard about Art Wolfe for along time now, but never saw his work till recently on Photoshelter, and I’ve got to say “amazing” and I wish I had the opportunity to visit Antarctica…Must be nice to do those Photo trips.

9. Erika Long says:

Art, I was wondering how you felt about artists using your photographs as a reference for their own paintings?

• admin says:

I don’t mind unless they are professionals copying my compositions. I have no problem with amateurs riffing on what I’ve created. The idea of fair use is murky, but that’s the way I feel about i.

10. Art Wolfe says:

Join Me on an Eleven-day Journey to Antarctica: Join me on an eleven-day journey to Antarctica on November 22 th.. http://tinyurl.com/qyg6qy

11. Kelly C says:

What an opportunity of a lifetime! Fortunately, I do still have a job (barely) but funds like others are not that available for a trip like this. To shoot along side Art Wolfe would be an amazing treat especially after meeting him at a presentation in Oregon. I could only imagine shooting with him and listening to his since of humor. If you have never heard him (off TV) you need to, he will have you rolling on the ground!

12. RT @artwolfe Join Me on an Eleven-day Journey to Antarctica on November 22 th.. http://tinyurl.com/qyg6qy

13. what is cost for trip please?

14. annfran says:

This would indeed be a fun and fantastic trip! I hope there will be more adventures like this in the future when I get to visit the United States again. :) I’m a big fan of your work, and I just love watching Travels to the Edge. :)

15. Paula says:

I jus watched ur “journey to the Edge” Kayaking and taking photos of the “aspens” totally was an incredible show to watch.. soo lucky to be able to photograph those beautiful places.. wasnt able to save up enough money to go to the antartica trip .. but I think my friend TIM is and i hope he has an awesome experience !! and doesnt forget to post his photos! sooo envious of u all! :)

16. The Antarctic is fantastic and Art will be the best teacher, I am sure, so I would like to join – the only issue is the cost – as nowadays it isn’t possible to have a profit from taking that kind of pictures with the costs in mind.

Soren Breiting
    Denmark

17. My husband and I are booked on the Antarctica trip in 2010. Can’t wait, this is defiantly a trip of a life time. We had been contemplating for sometime, but the minute Art Wolfe joined the trip, we were in! We have over year to plan, learn, and practice. Just when I thought our camera gear was set, here we go making a list of what we would need. Art, is a 600mm AF-S too much for this trip? My husband wants to sell it and get the lighter 500mm VR. I think my 200-400 VR should be fine for me. What do you recommend?

• admin says:

It’s going to be a great trip and I look forward to seeing you there.

I think you are right on both counts. I prefer 500s to 600s most of the time and certainly in Antarctica, and the 200-400 is an ideal zoom range.